Monday, March 22, 2010

Such Is Life Sometimes (53/90)

Today's been a bust. A complete and total bust. And as of right now, tomorrow is not looking so good.

The day started the way that I thought it would. I got up early, got myself my favorite iced vanilla coffee on  the way to campus and got to class. I wasn't bothered by the rain, even when my brand new umbrella failed me.

As soon as class was dismissed, I made the 40 minute drive back home for an appointment at Midas to get my car serviced before the Chicago trip. I got to the shop ten minutes early and sat down to wait. I was thrilled to find that they have free Wi-Fi and I could get some work done.

 It was a good thing, because the Midas man was swamped, and has been since I made the appointment last week. I spent 3 hours and 20 minutes waiting to get a 45 minute job done on my worn rotors. That really wasn't an issue for me, patience is a virtue and I can always use more of it.

Less than thirty minutes in to my wait, though, I realized that I had left my flash drive, full of this entire year's work in the office I was working in last night. Still, not a huge deal. I knew exactly where I left it. But, there are lots of people in and out of the office and on the computers.

I started to freak out and felt totally helpless since I wasn't on campus and had trouble getting in touch with anyone that was. I damaged the flash drive that had all of last year's work on it when I dropped my computer and I'm still upset about that. So I was trying to prevent the loss and all of the hassle that comes along with it.

Luckily, I finally got a hold of a friend who got it for me and has it in safe keeping now.

And, my car was finished just in time for me to make it back to campus in time for my 5:00 class and grab a cup of coffee on the way. I got to campus, parked and pulled my bag from the floor to my shoulder and grabbed my coffee.

But when I went to pull the key out of the ignition, I couldn't. I made sure the steering wheel wasn't locked, that my gear shift was in the right position and everything was as it should be. No luck.

So, I did what I always do when I have car trouble: Call my dad. Even when I'm 900 miles away. God love him, after he couldn't help me on the phone he came to Muncie to see if he could get the key out while I waited in the car.

First he told me just to go to class and lock the doors and he would come check it out. I, of course, refused. I know it's small town Muncie, but it's not the 50s. When he got to the commuter lot on campus where I was parked he jumped in the driver seat of my car and jiggled the key. He turned the car on and then off, put it in neutral and back in park again. No luck.

He offered to switch me vehicles, which I also refused. By this time it was almost 6:00 and I'd missed the majority of my 5:00 class so there was no reason to stick around. When we got home at 7:00 we called Triple A and waited.

It's 10:00 now and the Triple A locksmith just left not long ago. He got the key out and then put it back in and it got stuck again. And again. It's out now, but obviously this is a problem. Something about the Solenoid switch.

Tomorrow I've got to spend more time getting it all figured out and hopefully still make it to my 12:30 test. I hate that these little nuisances have consumed my day and my energy and that I feel helpless. But, these things happen. Such is life, sometimes.

So, what I can do to make up for today and plan for tomorrow I am doing. Starting with a late night workout and my favorite concert DVD.  Because there's much bigger, better things to be consumed by.


Post a Comment