Monday, December 28, 2009

While I'm Waiting

I overheard a friend of mine planning his love life tonight. Bit by bit. The kind of girl he’d meet, when they’d be married, his children’s names.

And I laughed. To myself, of course. As he talked through his timeline for the next 10 years I was wondering when he’d realize that things won’t be as he planned.

At least I hope they won’t.

Because the best things in life aren’t planned. They have a way of sneaking up on you. They catch you off guard and take your breath away. They leave you yearning for more. They make you wonder why you didn’t think of this arrangement first. And question how you didn’t see that this predicament is just what you needed all along.

Yet and still, I too have plans. Plans for love. For my life.

In short, there’s the graduate school in the city, the man I’ll meet I’ll meet and fall in love with there, landing the dream job and finding happiness somewhere along the way.

I, like we all do, need the plans. The plans give me hope. They remedy my uncertainty. And give me something to hold onto while I’m waiting to be filled.

But I hold on loosely. And wait for the things in life that can’t be planned, only embraced.

0 comments:

Post a Comment